ACP Announces Winners of the 2020 “Excellence in Publishing Awards”
BALTIMORE, MD — The Association of Catholic Publishers (ACP) is pleased to announce the winners of the 2020 Excellence in Publishing Awards. The total number of submissions reached an all-time high this year.
First, second, and third place honors were awarded to publishers and authors of the best Catholic content in 14 categories—Biography, Children’s Books: Young Readers, Children’s Books: Picture Books, General Interest, Inspirational, Music: Distinguished Catholic Composer of the Year, Music: Song of the Year, Prayer, Resources for Liturgy, Resources for Ministry, Scripture, Spanish, Spirituality, and Theology. First place only is awarded in categories where there was a small number of entries.
First-place winners are automatically entered into a special round of judging for the “Resource of the Year” which will be announced in late June.
Here are some of the most interesting facts about this year’s winners.
- 16 or 43% were written or edited by women
- All three biography winners highlight three religious women—Sr. Theresa Kane, Mother Teresa, and Sr. Thea Bowman
- Three authors—Catherine Maresca, David Haas, and Barbara Yoffie—were double award winners
- Four of the six titles written by our double award winners were first place finishers
- 22 or 59% were published by these four publishers: Liturgical Press (8), OCP (5), Orbis Books (5), Ave Maria Press (4)
Winners will be announced via video today.